In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. Without getting political, the point I’d like to pull out is that most people can’t call B.S. online when they see it. They lack what I call digital discernment, which is a skill they must be learned.
This is in strake contrast to the “un-College” movement that touts self-study via search engines over higher education. Just Google-ing it can work, assuming you know how to make heads or tails out of the results; which as we’ve seen above most people can’t!
- Consider the source: most people telling you not to go to College either have no formal education or have degrees unrelated to digital marketing.
- The real pros and cons of a degree in Digital Marketing from someone who actually has one.
- How Web 2.0 has fundamentally changed the Internet and how Google works.
- The Paradox of Choice: the more options you have the harder it becomes to make a decision.
- Social proof can be gamed. Rating and reviews are easily manipulated.
- HORROR STORY: Black-hat info can get you de-indexed from Google without you even knowing it.
3 Key Points:
- Context trumps content: Just Google-ing only works if you can call B.S. online. Most people can’t!
- Access to Capital: There is indeed a lot of valuable free content online, but the top shelf info still needs to be paid for. Often times you’re looking at tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket.
- College vets the info you’re exposed to so you never have to worry about any MLMs or black-hat tactics being passed off on you.
5 Reasons You 5 Reasons May Suck!
Manipurated book by Daniel Lemin
James Loomstein Marketing Smarts podcast interview.
Scamworld: ‘Get rich quick’ mutates into an unstoppable monster
- Ready to go pro but aren’t sure if College is the right choice for you? Get my Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide.
- Like the podcast? Then you’ll love the book! Grab Beyond Buzzwords on Amazon.
- In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. DON’T be taken advantage of. Our Digital Discernment course teaches you how to call B.S. online.
Support this podcast:
Like what you hear? Consider becoming a patron at https://www.patreon.com/MarketingDisenchanted.
I’m a small, independent podcaster so your support goes a long way in making sure I have the funds to keep the podcast going. Go to Patreon.com and check out my awesome pledge levels. You’re doing a good deed and will be rewarded handsomely for it! Thanks in advance.
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Shoot me an email: Temi at ConsultTemi.com
(Sorry, had to break the email link to stymie the bots… damned bots.)