In this no-holds-bar episode I respectfully challenge Gary Varynerchuk on some advice he gave to a 17 year old girl named Kiara. No disrespect to Gary Vee, but I refer to people who give advice about processes they’ve never been through as male gynecologists. They may be very well studied and mean well, but at the end of the day they themselves have never experienced what they’re talking about.
Temi is the co-author of Beyond Buzzwords: Social Media, Mobile & Other Marketing Buzzwords Ain’t the Half of It!; and partner at Digital Marketing Advisers, a digital agency based in Atlanta, GA. Follow Michelle on Twitter at @tembo8482. You can also find Temi on LinkedIn, as well as http://ConsultTemi.com.
- Why I disagree with thought leaders Gary Vanynerchuk and John Lee Dumas on their views a College education.
- Why their point of view on a College degree in Digital Marketing is 3rd person, not 1st
- Why you should consider the vantage point of people who have actually been through the process you’re considering undertaking.
- Why it’s important to be able to identify and differentiate between opinions and facts.
- The importance of being a responsible digital citizen.
- How Temi fell down the black-hat rabbit whole while meandering the wilds of Google.
- Whenever you have an industry that can get shady it’s important to not only educated consumers but also practitioners so they don’t inadvertently become predators.
3 Key Points:
- Opinions and theories don’t equal facts.
- Most people lack the skill of digital discernment: the ability to call B.S. online when they see it.
- Consult people who have actually been through the process you’re considering undertaking.
TMDP 001: Just Google It?! How’s Your B.S. Meter?
Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide
Ritson: Who hurts marketing more, Gary Vaynerchuk or out-of-touch professors?
- Ready to go pro but aren’t sure if College is the right choice for you? Get my Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide.
- Like the podcast? Then you’ll love the book! Grab Beyond Buzzwords on Amazon.
- In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. DON’T be taken advantage of. Our Digital Discernment course teaches you how to call B.S. online.
Support this podcast:
Like what you hear? Consider becoming a patron at https://www.patreon.com/MarketingDisenchanted.
I’m a small, independent podcaster so your support goes a long way in making sure I have the funds to keep the podcast going. Go to Patreon.com and check out my awesome pledge levels. You’re doing a good deed and will be rewarded handsomely for it! Thanks in advance.
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Shoot me an email: Temi at ConsultTemi.com
(Sorry, had to break the email link to stymie the bots… damned bots.)