Dorie Clark is a professional speaker, college professor and strategy consultant who have worked with clients including Google, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, DHL, Fidelity, Yale University, and the World Bank. She is a regular contributor to Forbes and the Harvard Business Review, and the author of “Stand Out” (Portfolio/Penguin, 2015) and “Reinventing You” (Harvard Business Review Press, 2013), which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine.
Follow Dorie on Twitter at @dorieclark. She can also be found on LinkedIn, as well as DorieClark.com.
- How Dorie went from running a non-profit to becoming a professional digital marketer.
- The challenge Dorie faced with working with clients with dated mindset and old expectations
- How Dorie gained a grater appreciation for the business world as her career developed.
- The system of academia was set up to transmit knowledge over time and isn’t well suited for learning trends in real time in most cases.
- The content creation process Dorie used to connect with industry thought leaders.
3 Key Points:
- There’s a disjoint in client expectations. Marketing has changed more in the last two years than in the preceding fifty, but most people’s mindsets haven’t caught up.
- O.M.O. (fear of missing out) causes marketers to suffer from “ooh shinny” syndrome at the expense of business fundamentals.
- People have a civic responsibility to check where their information comes forms.
Overdrive app: https://www.overdrive.com/
Getting Things Done: http://gettingthingsdone.com/
42-page self-assessment workbook: http://dorieclark.com/
- Ready to go pro but aren’t sure if College is the right choice for you? Get my Ultimate Digital Marketing College Guide.
- Like the podcast? Then you’ll love the book! Grab Beyond Buzzwords on Amazon.
- In the last three months of the 2016 Presidential election fake news outperformed real news on Facebook. DON’T be taken advantage of. Our Digital Discernment course teaches you how to call B.S. online.
Support this podcast:
Like what you hear? Consider becoming a patron at https://www.patreon.com/MarketingDisenchanted.
I’m a small, independent podcaster so your support goes a long way in making sure I have the funds to keep the podcast going. Go to Patreon.com and check out my awesome pledge levels. You’re doing a good deed and will be rewarded handsomely for it! Thanks in advance.
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Shoot me an email: Temi at ConsultTemi.com
(Sorry, had to break the email link to stymie the bots… damned bots.)